If you find yourself stressing over your curls – stop! Seriously. Stop. Embrace your curls. Work with them, not against them. Working with your natural texture will save you a ton of time in up-keeping high-maintenance hair. There are however things that you can and should do to keep that natural texture looking its best. Read on to see my top tips for curly girls.
1. This is one that surprises people sometimes… Don’t shampoo your hair everyday! While keeping your hair and scalp clean is important, you do not need to shampoo your hair everyday to achieve this. Over-shampooing can dry your hair out. If you are used to shampooing everyday, I suggest switching to every other. How often you should shampoo depends mostly on your hair type and how dry your hair is. I have many clients who have reported shampooing 1-2 times a week to elicit the best results for their curly hair. Need to wet your hair to style it? Try rinsing and conditioning only on off-days.
2. If you use hard or well water, get a Malibu treatment or try using a Ion Crystal Clarifying treatment once a month or so to purify the hair and remove build-up. Even if you don’t have hard water or well water, this can be a great thing to do occasionally to deep clean you hair.
3. Moisturize! Make sure that you are using a moisture rich conditioner. If your hair is really dry, you should be using a deep moisturizing treatment at least once every 2 weeks.
4. Don’t blow-dry your hair 100% regularly. If you are up for spending some time on your style then go for it; otherwise, I recommend using a diffuser and only drying the hair about 80% or letting it air dry completely when you can.
5. Invest in good products! If you’re not sure what to use, ask your stylist to recommend a product for you. Your curl-type will determine what product is best for you. For instance if your hair is frizzy and very curly, you may need a straightening creme balm to smooth frizz and soften/define your curls. If your hair is fine and/or your curls tend to fall flat, you might want to try a bodifying creme-mousse like Redken’s Aerate.
6. To make your hair look polished without spending hours on it, try curling a few random pieces with a curling iron. Don’t worry about sectioning the hair or anything. Just grab some medium sized chunks and curl, working mostly around the face and top. These will blend in well with your other curls and give your style a very finished look. The best part is, it only takes a few minutes!